Just say the word ‘barmbrack’ and images of Halloween come to mind. Traditionally it contained various objects baked into the bread and whatever you fished out revealed your fate – married or spinster, poor or rich! There are no coins or rings in this version but feel free to add your own. Just be mindful of the potential choking hazard!
Most bracks are very high in sugar. This version is naturally sweetened with fruit and can be ready in 30 minutes. Perfect for a healthier treat!
Some other healthier options this Halloween include:
- Home-made pumpkin muffins. We like this pumpkin and maple syrup recipe http://cookieandkate.com/2014/healthy-maple-pumpkin-muffins/ using a little maple syrup to add sweetness
- Ghost pizzas: mix 2 tbsp. tomato passata and 2 tsp tomato puree in a bowl. Spread onto 2 small wholegrain tortillas / wholegrain pizza bases. Slice mozzarella ball into thin slices and trim each slice into a ghost shape (easier than it sounds!). Use pieces of olives to make eyes and red pepper or tomato pieces for mouths. Bake at 220C for 4 – 6 minutes.
- ‘Pumpkin’ quesadillas with slime dip: mix grated cheddar, sliced spring onion, 1 finely chopped red pepper in a bowl. Cut pumpkin face into 1 wholegrain tortilla. Heat frying pan the same size as the tortilla. Place one complete (not cut) tortilla onto the pan, sprinkle some cheese mixture on top to cover and top with the cut out ‘pumpkin’ tortilla. Cook for 60 – 90 seconds on each side. Serve with guacamole and natural yoghurt mixed with garlic.
- Mozzarella eyeballs: toss mini mozzarella balls in a little olive oil and dried herbs. Place on a plate and top with a slice of a pitted green olive. For extra effect, fill the centre of the green olive with a tiny piece of black olive or some tapenade and place some finely sliced roast pepper strips on the ‘eyeballs’. Serve with a toothpick for extra gore
- Fruity spiders – use dried spaghetti + 4 raisins / blackberries per leg, large red grape / dried uncoloured apricot for body, dried cranberries for eyes
If you would like more information about the services we offer, including testing, please get in touch.