We recommend attending the clinic with Gastrolife if possible for your test. This is the best way to ensure accurate results. Gastrolife have clinics in Dublin and Kildare. Please contact Gastrolife directly to organize the test on 01 5242591 or book online via www.gastrolife.ie.
- Please select ‘Book appointment’ and select a preferred date and time from the online calendar
- Choose ‘Gastrocheck’ – the test for Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth is covered by this
- Once you have selected your appointment, you will be asked to fill in your details and confirm from a drop down menu that you want the test for ‘Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth’
- Receive a 5% discount by entering the code ‘ONLINE’ in the coupon section
- Please note that appointments are available in their Kildare clinic on Saturdays
- You will need to allocate a minimum of 3 hours to complete the test
Ordering a home kit with Gastrolife
If you cannot attend the clinic for your test, please order a home kit online via www.gastrolife.ie
- Go the to ‘Tests’ page and select ‘Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth’. At the end of this page, see the option to order a kit for home use
- The cost of delivery for the kit is included. We recommend returning the samples using registered post with An Post – this is not included.
Before completing your breath test
It is essential that you follow a preparatory diet the day before completing your test (2 days if you have severe constipation). Otherwise your results may not be valid and you may need to repeat the test.
- You must wait at least 1 month after taking antibiotics before taking this test (unless retesting)
- You must wait at least 1 week after having a colonoscopy or any bowel cleansing preparation
- One week prior to testing please stop taking
- any herbal anti-microbial supplementation (unless retesting)
- probiotic foods and / or supplements
- Any laxatives or motility enhancing drugs
- One day prior to testing, please adhere to the following:
- Stop taking digestive aids such as enzymes or hydrochloric acid
- Stop taking antacids/acid blocking medication
- Runny diarrhoea may affect the results of the breath tests
- Please remember to follow the diet for 2 days if you have severe constipation
Please consult with your practitioner about these conditions or any of the above prior to performing the test, as testing may need to be rescheduled
Preparation begins 24 hours prior to testing, in 2 stages of 12 hours. If you suffer from constipation, please allow 48 hours prior to testing. If you are diabetic, pregnant or breastfeeding, please discuss your preparation diet with your Nutritionist.
- First 12 hours consists of a restricted meal plan (36 hours if you are constipated)
- Second 12 hours will be fasting – ONLY water is allowed
- No smoking is permitted, including second-hand smoke and e-cigarettes, for at least 12 hours before and at any time during the testing period
- No sleeping or vigorous exercise for at least 1 hour before and at any time during the testing period.
- Drinking water only during your breath test is allowed in moderation, and only after the first hour of testing
- No chewing gum is permitted on the day before of day of the test
- When brushing your teeth, do not swallow the toothpaste. Do not use mouthwash
- Unfortunately there are no substitute foods for vegans, the test has been validated only on the foods below. Please discuss this with your Nutritionist if you follow a strict vegan diet.
Foods allowed the day before the test
Only to be consumed during the first 12 hours (36 hours if constipated)
- Baked or grilled chicken, fish, turkey, lean beef or pork (spiced ONLY with salt and pepper)
- Plain steamed white rice (Basmati or Jasmine)
- Olive oil or coconut oil – 1 tablespoon only, for cooking
- Water, black coffee or black tea only
Avoid all other types of food and drinks including chewing gum during this 12 hour (36 hour) restricted meal period to ensure accurate results.
Sample Meal Plan
From 8am to 8pm: 12 or 36 hours of your restricted meal plan
Breakfast: Scrambled eggs
Lunch: Chicken and white rice seasoned with salt and pepper
Dinner: Fish and white rice seasoned with salt and pepper
Drinks: Water, black coffee / black tea
From 8pm until 8am: 12 hours fasting – WATER ONLY
Your final test results will be sent to Glenville Nutrition within 1 week. Please ensure that you book a review appointment to go through the tests and discuss a protocol with your Nutritionist.
If you have any queries, please contact us on 01-4020777 or email us on firstname.lastname@example.org