Pizza might be the most popular take-out food in Ireland but the quantities of fat, sugar and salt in take-out pizza can be extremely high. Not to mention the €20+ price tag to feed the family. Here we bring you the easiest pizza recipe ever… AND it’s gluten free! You can get the ingredients in any major supermarket and add whatever toppings you like. Get the whole family involved in topping selection and design. It takes about 10 minutes to prepare and 10 minutes to cook. Now that sounds like an easy peasy Saturday evening to me.
This really is a super easy pizza to make but I’ll give you some suggestions also.
– Make sure to roll the pizza very thin, less than ½ cm. You will need plenty of extra flour to stop the base from sticking to your surface and make them 12 inch or less to avoid tearing while you’re lifting them.
– You can make the dough ahead of time and just wrap it in clingfilm until you are ready to use later that day or even overnight in the fridge.
– Less is more when it comes to toppings on a thin base pizza. A very thin spread of tomato sauce (we love Bunalun Organic Tomato and Veg sauce or you can make your own of course!) and a sprinkle of mozzarella goes a long way.
– Top with a mountain of rocket with some parmesan shavings, a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and olive oil and some cracked black pepper.
– For a really decadent pizza treat: omit the tomato sauce and use some good quality pesto thinned out with extra olive oil. Add a thin spread of this pesto to the base. Top with slices of pear and crumbled blue cheese (we love Cashel Blue) amongst a scattering of mozzarella. Remember these are strong flavours and oily toppings so less is most definitely more here. But oh my, the flavour… is your mouth watering yet??
So with no further ado, the recipe… Enjoy and let us know what you think!
Preparation time: 10 minutes, serves 2
125g Doves Farm Gluten Free Self Raising Flour Mix
1 tsp xantham gum
½ tsp gluten free baking powder
½ tsp sea salt
½ – 1 cup of warm water
- Mix dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl
- Add warm water slowly whilst bringing the dough together. Briefly knead the dough until it comes together. Add more water if too dry, more flour if too wet. The dough can be very sticky, so coat hands in plenty of flour
- Cover a clean dry surface with plenty of flour and coat rolling pin in flour. Roll out dough to desired thickness.
- Pre-bake the base on a baking tray for less than 5 mins just so that it begins to crisp on the outside, before adding your toppings. Return to the oven for a further 5 mins or until toppings have heated through.
- Serve with a crisp green salad and enjoy!
Don’t forget to let us know what you think of our take on the take out! What are your favourite toppings??